What kind of pizza is the healthiest?
December 31, 2022
Pizza is a beloved food all around the world, but it is not always the most health-conscious choice. However, there are ways to make pizza a healthier option. Here are some tips for choosing a healthier pizza:
- Choose a whole grain crust: Whole grain crusts are made from whole grains such as wheat, rye, or oats, which are packed with nutrients and fiber. These crusts are generally healthier than those made from refined grains, which have been stripped of their nutrients during the refining process.
- Go easy on the cheese: Cheese is a rich source of protein and calcium, but it is also high in fat and calories. To make your pizza healthier, try using less cheese or opting for lower-fat varieties such as mozzarella or feta.
- Load up on vegetables: Vegetables are a great source of nutrients and can help to balance out the less healthy aspects of your pizza. Try adding a variety of vegetables to your pizza, such as bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Choose lean protein sources: Meat toppings such as pepperoni and sausage are high in fat and calories, so try to limit your intake of these toppings. Instead, opt for lean protein sources such as grilled chicken or tofu.
- Consider a thin crust: Thin crust pizzas tend to be lower in calories and fat than thick crust pizzas, as they have less dough. However, it is still important to choose a whole grain crust to maximize the nutritional value of your pizza.
- Make your own pizza: Making your own pizza at home allows you to control the ingredients and portion sizes, which can help you to make a healthier choice. Use whole grain crust, go easy on the cheese, and load up on vegetables to create a nutritious and delicious pizza.
- Choose a healthier pizza style: Some pizza styles are inherently healthier than others. For example, Neapolitan pizza is made with a thin, whole grain crust and simple, fresh toppings, making it a healthier choice compared to deep dish or stuffed crust pizzas.
By following these tips, you can make your pizza a healthier and more nutritious choice. Remember to also enjoy your pizza in moderation and balance it out with other healthy foods as part of a well-rounded diet.