Sourdough Bread recipe
For the Sourdough Starter:
- 1/2 cup (120g) whole wheat or rye flour
- 1/2 cup (120g) lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup (60g) active, mature sourdough starter (or you can create your own using the same flour and water for about a week, feeding it daily)
For the Bread:
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8g) salt
- 3/4 cup (180g) lukewarm water
Day 1: Preparing the Starter
- In a glass or plastic container, combine the whole wheat or rye flour, lukewarm water, and your active sourdough starter.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Cover the container loosely with a cloth or plastic wrap, leaving room for air to get in. Let it sit at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
Day 2: Feeding the Starter
- Check your starter. It should have started to bubble and develop a slightly sour smell. If it hasn't, give it more time.
- Discard half of the starter and then add 1/2 cup (120g) of flour and 1/2 cup (120g) of lukewarm water. Stir well.
- Cover the container again and let it sit at room temperature for another 12-24 hours.
Day 3: More Feeding
- Repeat the feeding process from Day 2.
- Let it sit for another 12-24 hours.
Day 4: The Float Test
- To check if your starter is ready, drop a small spoonful into a glass of water. If it floats, it's ready. If not, continue the feeding process for another day or two.
- Once your starter passes the float test, it's ready to use in your bread recipe.
Day 5: Making the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of bread flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and 3/4 cup of lukewarm water.
- Add 1 cup (240g) of your active sourdough starter to the bowl.
- Mix everything until a shaggy dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10-15 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise at room temperature for about 4-6 hours, or until it has roughly doubled in size.
Day 6: Baking the Bread
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C) with a Dutch oven or a heavy, oven-safe pot with a lid inside.
- Carefully place your risen dough into the hot Dutch oven.
- Score the top of the dough with a sharp knife.
- Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Enjoy your homemade sourdough bread with your favorite spreads or toppings!